Mitel's EPC has been deployed widely as globally operators transform towards 4G LTE networks. Current EPC deployments are primarily targeted towards initial 4G LTE devices geared for mobile internet traffic. With its proven leadership in VoLTE and RCS, Mitel brings in a unique perspective of utilizing EPC for telecom communication driven services such as user-to-user voice, video, messaging, content sharing etc. To solve the specific challenges of packet latency, QoS on the backhaul and IP peering tied to real-time IP based communication services, Mitel’s PGW is specifically architected to provide key PGW functions of resource allocation/usage policy enforcement and packet routing/forwarding/charging/filtering at a very optimized Packets Per Second (PPS) processing to enable cost-effective and efficient deployment of next-generation communication services.
At its core, Mitel’s virtualized standards-based solution for PGW provides connectivity to external Packet Data Networks such as the internet/Intranet, and IMS (enabling services such as VoLTE and RCS). The PGW interoperates with both 3GPP (2G, 3G, LTE) and non-3GPP (i.e. Wi-Fi) access networks, offering seamless mobility. It assigns IP address to the UE and handles packet routing, filtering and forwarding functions. It also hosts the Policy and Charging Enforcement Function (PCEF) to enable QoS management. Mitel’s EPC components including the PGW have distributed architecture that splits control and bearer planes, offering exceptional flexibility and scalability to handle high rates of signaling as well as the very high PPS. This revolutionary split architecture approach provides operators the deployment flexibility to scale the network modularly based on actual traffic growth for various types of services.
The PGW, based on the software-based mOne® Convergence Platform is modular and carrier-grade, delivering the scale and flexibility needed to accommodate ever increasing volumes of 4G LTE voice and data traffic over mobile operator networks.
Key Features & Benefits
- Standards based, 3GPP Rel. 12 Compliant
- Policy control enforcement for resource allocation and usage
- UE address allocation, packet forwarding/routing
- Charging support
- Fully Virtualized, ready for cloud based deployments
- Optimized packet processing, high throughput with per user QoS support
- “R4 for VoLTE” - IMS AGW/ATGW combined with S/P GW provides highly optimized VoLTE bearer path
- Integration of multiple best-of-breed network functions like Deep Packet Inspection (DPI), Content Filtering etc
- Unified support for 3GPP and non-3GPP access types allowing seamless mobility